Pages

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Dining at The Plumed Horse

Happy Sunday! So last night we went out to dinner at a restaurant called The Plumed Horse.  One of G's co-workers gave him a giftcard as a thank you for something, and we kept forgetting to make a reservation (which must be done at least a week in advance for this place, mind you). So like any other person in this century, I hopped on yelp to read reviews. (Side not: I like to read reviews, but I'm pretty sure I've only written about five. You too? Oh good)




Let's just say I'm glad we didn't go there for New Years Eve... three different reviews said they had gone and the bill was $600 for 2 people. UM, oh my......what were we in for? After reading all of the yelp reviews, we wondered if we, too, might get 'plumed' at this restaurant. However, I'd read enough to know that the champagne cart traveling around the dining room, carved out of solid wood with a marble top, would put us on the fast track of getting plumed, so I politely declined. Our bank account said a silent thank you.



 Fast forward to our meal. The actual meal was very good (nothing that blew my mind, although I'm definitely not a foodie), but what made the dinner a one of a kind experience, was the appearance of random mini foods (four times) that were "compliments" of the chef. One arrived in the form of some sort of cheese ball on a wooden kabob stick (sticking out of a small container growing fresh green wheatgrass!), then there were four mini finger bites that included, I kid you not, a deviled quail egg. This egg was about the size of the fingernail on my thumb. Itty bitty. Can you imagine boiling a bitty egg and then shelling it and stuffing it with the deviled yoke? It was like being at a tea party for a 5 year old. Fabulous!




Other "compliments" from the generous chef included a pre-desert to cleanse our palette, and a post desert (so I guess in reality we had three desserts?) a mini mint macaron and a mini candied pineapple. Oh yeah, and a sea salt and chocolate covered  mini cheesecake ball on a kabob stick. All of these were the size of my fingernail. Needless to say, the entire experience was really fun and totally unique.  And as one yelper put it, there are 4 $ restaurants and there are 4$* restaurants. And the Plumed Horse, of course, is the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment